Tennessee Bus Accident Lawyers That Can Protect Your Rights
After being in a bus accident, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the party responsible for your accident and injuries. If your child was the one injured, you can file a lawsuit on their behalf as well.
The most common type of buses to be involved in an accident are:
- School buses.
- Municipal buses.
- Intercity buses.
There are over four thousand bus accidents a year and they can lead to devastating injuries. With most riders not wearing a seat belt, what could be a minor bump or bruise is often a broken bone or head injury.Who's to Blame?
To file a lawsuit, someone else needs to be responsible for the accident. This is the negligent party and each party must be named, if there is more than one. For example, a private transportation company may have supplied the bus but the driver caused the accident. In some cases, both would be considered negligent and as an attorney, our job is to determine this through the course of an investigation.
Some responsible parties could be the:
- Driver. If the driver was distracted, tired, intoxicated or driving recklessly, they could be to blame for the wreck.
- Bus company. The bus company needs to ensure that all buses are working properly and that drivers are trained prior to getting behind the wheel. Failing to do so can result in an accident due to their negligence.
- Manufacturer. If a faulty part or manufacturing defect caused the accident, the actual bus manufacturer could be to blame.
- Government entity. Like a bus company, if the busses are owned and operated by a government entity, they could be negligent if proper safety protocols were not followed. One warning - the rules for suing a government entity are different from a private company so you will need help from a bus accident lawyer.
- Maintenance company. Sometimes, third-party maintenance companies are contracted to keep buses in good working order. If they fail to do so, they could be negligent.
Once negligence is established, evidence must be gathered to prove it in court. This is something we can assist with as your injury lawyer.Money for Injuries
You deserve to be compensated for your injuries and how the accident has impacted your life. This includes emotional and mental trauma in addition to physical suffering.
As a bus accident lawyer, we will sit down with you and review how your life has changed. Some questions we may ask are:
- Have you been seeing a doctor and what treatments are you receiving?
- Can you walk and move like you did prior to the accident?
- Are you able to work and if so, have you taken time off for treatments?
- What expenses have you incurred as part of your accident?
Your answers will help us to determine what your injury claim is worth in addition to reviewing any relevant receipts and medical bills.
You could receive money for:
- All medical bills, including projected ones.
- Wages you lost by being unable to work.
- Expenses like in-home caregivers, transportation, medications, and medical devices.
- Pain and suffering.
Find out what you injury claim is worth and discover the next steps in filing a lawsuit by speaking with a bus accident lawyer at The Higgins Firm. Call (800) 705-2121 to get started.