Call Us Today - It's Free! Text Us
Who received an injury?(Required)

Paying for Nursing Home Specialized Care

Nursing homes can be pretty expensive and paying for them can seem very overwhelming. However, you do have financial options. There is Medicare, Medicaid, the Department of Veteran Affairs as well as private pay options and other solutions. If you need more help deciding which financial option is the right one for you, you need to speak to one of our nursing home lawyers with the Higgins Firm. We will help answer any questions you may have. If the person you care about has been the victim of abuse while in the nursing home, we can help you get the compensation that you may be eligible for.

What is Medicare?

Medicare is health insurance that all U.S. citizens are eligible to receive when they are sixty-five. If you have a disability and are not yet sixty-five you may be eligible for Medicare as well. Medicare typically only covers care needed for a limited amount of time such as if you have been in the hospital, suffered an injury or have an illness that is not long-term. It does not cover nursing home care if the stay is longer than one hundred days. It is also not typically used for day care, in home care, or assisted living.

What is Medicaid?

Medicaid is a government health insurance program that assists people in the paying of long-term care such as nursing homes and assisted living facilities. However, medicaid has rules about who can qualify. These rules include but are not limited to:

  • a person has used all of their money paying for care
  • they have a low income and high medical costs
  • a married couple does not have many assets other than their home

Medicaid is typically used by people that cannot afford to pay for nursing home care on their own. Each state has their own rules regarding eligibility for medicaid so it is important that you the visit the Medicare and Medicaid Services website to see if you are eligible.

What is Veterans Aid?

If you are a veteran that is at least sixty-five years of age and served during the war, you may qualify for assistance from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs and use this assistance to pay for nursing home care. Your spouse or dependent children may qualify for this as well. This type of assistance is only given to those that are determined to be really in need of the assistance. It does have some income restrictions but eligibility can be determined based on your specific case. You should visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for more information and to see if you qualify for this assistance.

What are Some Other Ways to Pay for a Nursing Home?

If your loved one is not eligible for government assistance you may consider using a personal savings account, stocks, bond, qualifying for a reverse mortgage, using a life insurance policy or consider getting long-term care insurance.

Making a decision about how to pay for a nursing home can be difficult but knowing that there are options can make it a little easier. If you have more concerns or feel that someone you love has been abused or neglected during their stay in a nursing home, then you should contact one of our knowledgeable and caring nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers with the Higgins Firm. We care about our clients and will listen to your claim and help you gather any evidence you may need for your case. We will work hard on your behalf to see to it that you get the compensation that is rightfully for the abuse and neglect your loved one has suffered.

Please get in touch with us today online or by phone at 800.705.2121 to talk about the legal action you may be able to pursue.

Meet the team

The insurance company has a legal team. You should too.

Latest Blog Post