It can be fun to go out on someone’s boat during the warm weather or for a holiday vacation or celebrating with friends. However, according to the United States Coast Guard, an estimated six hundred and eighty-five people died after a boating accident and over three thousand were injured. If you or someone you care about has been seriously injured or died after a boating accident because of someone’s else negligence, then you may be eligible for compensation for your medical bills, any loss of income, or any pain and suffering that you have been caused. You should speak to an experienced and compassionate boating accident and personal injury lawyer with the Higgins Firm right away. We will work with you to make sure the party responsible is held accountable for their actions.What is considered a boating accident under the law?
A boating accident is defined as a boat or recreational watercraft causes harm to property, another boat, when people go missing, or another person or people died or are injured because of the boat. Some common types of boating accidents may be but are not limited to:
- Wrecking into another boat or watercraft vehicle
- Colliding with property or another object that is not moving
- Wrecking into someone swimming in the water
- An incident that involves a water skier or someone being towed by a boat or watercraft
- When a person may fall overboard while on the boat
- The boat sinking
- If there is a fire or explosion on the boat
- If there is carbon monoxide poisoning on the boat
If you have been injured in a boating accident, you must be able to prove that someone was negligent and caused the accident. Some common causes of boating accidents can include but are not limited to:
- If someone was being careless while driving or operating the boat
- If the person or persons driving the boat were intoxicated
- If the boat has safety issues that should have been addressed before operation
- Not following the guidelines and laws about safe boating
- Not having enough safety equipment on the boat
When boating accidents occur in order to receive compensation for your claim, you must be able to prove negligence occurred on the behalf of the person or persons responsible for operating the boat. It is important that seek medical treatment and you report the accident to the appropriate law enforcement officials. This way any witnesses that may have seen the accident occur or seen any negligence can make statements. It is also important to take pictures of the accident if possible as well as any injuries you may have. Finally, write down anything you can remember about the accident even if it seems like a small or minor detail.
Then you should contact a knowledgeable and caring boating accident and personal injury attorney with the Higgins Firm. We will answer any questions you may have and review any evidence of the accident and your injuries such as medical reports and treatment you may have received. We also may contact witnesses, experts, and law enforcement to help us make your case. We will then fight for you to make sure that you receive the compensation you need for your suffering and to make sure the people that caused the accident are held responsible.
You can contact us online or by calling 800.705.2121 to discuss your case and any questions you might have.