The Higgins Firm has a dedicated division of experienced employment lawyers that are ready to fight for the legal rights of Tennessee Employees. Our team focuses exclusively on employment law so they can give each client the best possible representation. We believe this focus is especially important in employment law litigation as both state and federal labor laws are constantly changing. It is an area of law that is replete with technical defenses, deadlines, and other legal obstacles. As such, finding a legal team that is experienced and knowledgeable in the area of employment law is critical.
Our Employment Law Division focuses on the following types of cases:
- Overtime Pay Violations: This includes the failure to pay employees overtime pay for work over 40 hours in a work week. The most common violations we see involve paying an employee a salary to avoid overtime, misclassifying an employee as exempt, and paying straight time.
- Violations of the Family Medical Leave Act: Employees that qualify are entitled to 12 weeks of unpaid leave during any twelve (12) month period for specific life events. These events include the birth and care of a new born child, placement and care of a newly adopted child or foster care child, a serious health condition and care of a spouse or child with a serious health condition. It is illegal for an employer to deny this benefit to a qualified employee or to retaliate against the employee for seeking these benefits.
- Discrimination: We represent employees who have been discriminated against because of their gender, religion, age, pregnancy status, disability, or other legally protected status.
- Non-compete and severance agreements: We represent employees who have been offered severance packages. We ensure that the agreement is equitable and that the employee is obtaining a fair amount for any legal rights that may be surrendered or other restraints on future employment.
- Whistleblower Claims: Whistleblower claims, or “qui tam” claims, are actions brought under the False Claim Act. The False Claim Act rewards whistleblowers if their case recovers funds for the government. Under the False Claim Act a person can sue a business that is defrauding our government and recovery money on behalf of the government.
Most of our clients have never filed a lawsuit or hired a lawyer. They are usually just hard working people that would rather have been able to continue their employment than involved with stressful litigation. It is a last resort. However, these same clients realize that by standing up the illegal actions of a corporation they may prevent the same actions from happening in the future.RESULTS
Our employment law team has successful litigated cases throughout Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia. We have lawyers licensed in each of these states. The Higgins Firms handles both individual employment cases and large complex collective actions cases. We have the recourses and knowledge to recover the wages our clients were left without.
If you believe that you have been the victim of an illegal employment action please contact our office today. You can email us or call toll free (800) 705-2121. Put our team’s experience to work for you today.